Thursday, October 15, 2009

Kool Smiles

Makes me frown. The search for a great pediatric dentist continues. I might be picky but I want the best treatment for children. Is that too much to ask for??? The dentist told me that Libby has 4 cavities and needs 4 amalgam fillings. She also told me that all that they have for pain management is nitrous and if that doesn't work they can put her in a papoose board to keep her from freaking out. Ugh. We had a HORRIBLE experience with the papoose thingie this past Saturday when she had stitches put in her forehead. I can just imagine how traumatic it would be for her to go to the dentist and have that experience. I asked about numbing her mouth and the dentist doesn't like to do that because children tend to bite their cheeks really hard and can cause damage. I made an appointment for her with a group on Loy Lake in Sherman who will allow me to come back with her, and has adequate pain management for children. The receptionist on the phone said that Kool Smiles isn't certified to give anything more than nitrous. Not that I WANT my daughter to be higher than Slater in Dazed and Confused. But c'mon she is three and can't be expected to sit there still not crying in pain for however long it takes to do a filling. Not that fillings are extremely painful, but it can be awfully scary for a child to be in that situation. And if there is anything that I learned in my Bradley childbirth classes (that I had while pregnant with Naomi) is that fear=pain and it's best to just relax. I want a second opinion anyways so that's another reason why I am taking her to the dentist on Loy Lake. 3rd time a charm maybe? We shall see. Appointment is the first week of November.

Oh and speaking of habitually changing docs, I switched OBGYNs. My mom says I'm never satisfied with anyone. I say that being picky isn't always a bad thing. Choosy moms choose TMC? I figure this is my last switcharoo since I'm 21 weeks now. I'm really not a looney toon, just a very picky mama when it comes to who is handling my lady business, and my baby's birth. Can you blame me?

Saving details on new doc and birth plan for another post...

No comments:

Post a Comment