Friday, October 16, 2009

Women Battle Health Insurance Industry, Demand Equal Benefits and Premiums - ABC News

Women Battle Health Insurance Industry, Demand Equal Benefits and Premiums - ABC News

Shared via AddThis

Amanda, I thought of you when I read this. You posted about a health insurance company denying coverage to a 4 month old baby because the child weighed 20 pounds.
R-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s.
This story is equally disturbing for me. Women are getting denied health coverage for having a c-section from a previous birth. Health insurance companies are viewing it as a 'preexisting condition'. Since most moms who have one c-section end up having their babies by c-section in the future, the companies just don't want to pay for it. This is not fair on so many levels!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I'm just now getting around to reading your blog, but surprise, surprise, I am one of those people that has been denied coverage of a c section. I tried to get blue cross blue shield last year, but they wouldn't cover a repeat c section (LIKE YOU USUALLY HAVE A CHOICE!!!!) so we stuck with our incredibly $$$$ insurance so we could have one more baby covered. Totally crazy. Now that we are done having kids, I think, I'm going to bcbs and not even getting maternity coverage. I am so ready for an insurance overhaul!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I did not realize that this was so common. It is EXTREMELY difficult to find a VBAC provider in most areas in the United States (believe me, I know!). So even if a woman wanted to avoid a repeat c-section it would be so troublesome to accomplish. But more importantly, it is such a personal/medical decision that insurance policies should not be influencing it. This makes me down right upset!!!

    ReplyDelete