Monday, December 15, 2008

Keeping it Real

OR

?!?

Twice this week I have felt like I had a heavy decision to make. The first time was at the post office. I was wanting to buy some Christmas stamps so I asked the lady to show me what she had. She whipped out a book of the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus, and a book of holly jolly Santa Claus stamps. I immediately felt like I was in the scene of a movie where a devil is on one shoulder and an angel was on the other. You know what I'm talking about right? I thought that the Santa Claus ones were really cute and festive. On the other hand, I am trying to teach Libby the real reason why we celebrate Christmas because, I think that is very important. I opted for the Jesus stamps since it felt like that is what I should do. Then today at Wal-Mart I had to buy some more Christmas cards because, I thought that I had some left over from last year but I obviously did not. I stood in that aisle for a good five minutes trying to decide which ones to get. I think that they are more than just Christmas cards and should send a message. I opted for the Jesus version again. In my prayers every night I pray to become a better Christian. Not that Christians are "better" but, that I am a happier person now that I know and trust God and I just wanna keep up the good feelings ya know? I figured that this is a great way to turn over a new leaf, and a way to teach Christmas's history to Libby. I do not have anything against the cute Santa cards, or the Frosty ones either. But for my family, we are going to try to keep Christ in Christmas as much as we can. I'm feeling pretty good about that. We are still going to tell Libby and Naomi about Santa as well, because there is something magical about it that I do not want them to miss out on. It is just that I don't want it all to be about Santa, shopping, and candy canes. Ya know?

No comments:

Post a Comment