Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Potpourri

I really don't have much time to blog...dishes in the sink (we are still one of those ppl without a dishwasher), naked children waiting to be bathed (not my duty tonight), and a messy house. But ah well I'm sitting here waiting for Joel to put the food up so I can wash the dishes so why not. At least he's putting the food away for me. I was going to do it all but then I decided I'd rather not. :P and just to vent why is he trying to throw everything away instead of putting it in a proper container. Do I have the only husband who despises leftovers? We had tacos, nachos, crock-pot pinto beans, rice, corn, and tomatoes out of my grandpa's garden. It was delicious.

Libby had her first day of pre-k and she liked it a lot. I took tons of pictures. I even drove by her school on her first day...I was on that side of town so why not? I saw her playing outside and it was so cute. I'm glad we decided to send her there, I think it's really good for her.

Tonight I'm completing the preview exercise with a LLL applicant from the group. We will have another Leader in the group now to help answer phone calls and lead series meetings. It will be easier to do outreach projects and organize fundraisers with another Leader. I've taken LLL meeting notices to OBGYN and pediatrician's offices, and they've all been very welcoming. But I'm only one person, and haven't gotten to all the doctor offices in the area. It would be great to accomplish that! Plus, I was putting together breastfeeding info bags for TMC to distribute. In my experience as a mom, I've only gotten formula materials when I've had my babies at the hospital. So biased I swear!!! But then again, no one makes any money off of breastfeeding (besides the pump companies) so that's a big reason there isn't a lot of info handed out so freely.

This morning when I was reading the news, I noticed that the CDC is in talks to now recommend that every U.S. boy be circumcised. Circumcision is something I just do not understand. I'd never surgically alter a part of my girl's genitals, or body (heck we don't even pierce ears). So why would I do it to a boy for cultural reasons??? The CDC is saying that men who aren't circumcised have a higher chance of getting HIV and that's why all newborn boys should be circ'd. I don't know if they've heard of this invention called the condom, but last I heard it's pretty effective warding off the AIDS buggies. Or how about the old fashioned idea of not being promiscuous. The whole idea of performing surgery on my *newborn* bc of what might or might not happen years from now is just so ridiculous to me. Call me crazy but we'll just take our chances...and if any son of mine wants to be circumcised once they can make the conscience decision, more power to them. The thought of it being any less painful at birth is just beyond fathomable to me. Babies are humans. Babies feel pain. bottom line. Most (if not all) of my friends have circumcised their boys, and that's fine. This paragraph is not intended to talk bad about any of their parent's choices to do so. I just personally don't understand it, never will, and would really rather not deal with another postpartum intervention that I'm going to be turning down at the hospital. *IF* we have a boy. Lol. It's probably a girl so I'm getting worked up over nothing.link to CDC statements

No comments:

Post a Comment